GAZETTE -Name Change
It is regarded as an official announcement by the Government. A Gazette is a public journal which provides information or updates regarding any official Government rules, changes, laws and other important government notices are published before they are given an effect. The Ministry of Urban Affairs handles all the publication work, the publication work is carried out by the Controller of Publications. A Change in name is a simple process in India, for whatsoever reason you apply for.
Reasons for name change:
- Identity Makeover
- Change of Gender
- Name change after Divorce
- Religious reasons
- Fancy for a New name
- Political statements
- Astrological or Numerological changes
One can get their names changed for any of the following reasons:
There are main 4 steps to be done in order to Change a name.
- Affidavit :- A Name change affidavit needs to be made first in order to change your Name. The Affidavit shall on a Stamp paper, shall contain all the information regarding the reasons why name is changed, Mention your previous name, New name required, Father’s name or Husband’s name, Residing address. The respective person then needs to appear before the Notary/Magistrate and swear on the Affidavit and get it attested.
- Pro Forma :- The next step would be to fill an application form for declation known as Pro Forma. The form can be obtained from Publication Department of the respective state. The person who wished to change the name should provide 2 attested photo copies and also the form needs to be filled in front of 2 witnesses along with their signature. A cover letter also shall be drafted.
- Newspaper Advertisement :- A vital step is Newspaper publication to state that name changed has been taken place legally. A name change advertisement needs to be published in a local newspaper.
- Gazette Publication :- The last step is Gazette Publication. The change in name shall be published in Gazette by the respective State in which the name changes prodecure is been applied. The respective person needs to pay the prescribed fees along with the documents such as Pro Forma, the newspaper in which advertisement is placed and the Affidavit prepared as such for the same along with attested passport size photos.
Documents required for Name Change
- Affidavit for Name Change
- Prescribed proforma for change of name. The proforma should be signed by two witnesses and the following witness details are required:
- Full Name
- Mobile/ Phone No.
- Advertisement in the newspaper (original and photocopy of advertisement appearing in the newspaper)
- Two self-attested passport size photos
- Photocopy of identity proof of the Applicant (photocopy of any one of the following documents : Aadhar card, passport, voter ID card, PAN card, driving license)
- Cover Letter
- Demand Draft for payment of fees